Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Thrift Store for the Win!

Our local thrift store is one of my favorite places to find great deals on clothes, household goods, books and sometimes even furniture or craft supplies. It gets trickier and trickier to spend as much time as I'd like hunting down the really good deals when I have three small children to keep track of in a store with open shelves of china and glass knick knacks. Nevertheless, I still end up bringing home some goodies for a fraction of the cost of buying new.

Sidenote: I still can't understand how some people have an aversion to buying used clothing. Unless those same people only wear their clothes once and then burn them and head to the store for next week's outfits... Dirt is dirt and I have a washing machine right in my house! I'm not purposely buying anything that looks like it was donated from a crime scene.

Anyway, for anyone interested in seeing what I came up with from my most recent thrift store trip, here it is:

A cool looking 1500 piece puzzle of the Bible

A 'dress up' dress and three dresses/outfits for my oldest daughter

Four skirts for myself :)

The best part? All of this cost me only $21! Not bad for items that are in very good condition and will likely last a good while.

When I was pregnant, I would check the maternity section because I would often find maternity shirts and jeans/skirts from Gap, Old Navy, and some of the expensive maternity stores that sell shirts for a ridiculous $30 new, and I'd get 2-3 of them at a time at the thrift store for under $10. Maybe even under $5 if I shopped on 50% off day.

I do try to have a short list of items I am looking for. Otherwise, I'd bust the budget on thrift store deals, even though the prices are right. Just because it's a good deal doesn't mean you have to buy it. I have the tender bank account and full closets to prove it. (Hey- I didn't claim to be perfect!) A good rule of thumb is to pull out as many items to donate as you are bringing home. Even better would be to learn how to spot items that you can resell online. I'd add a link to The Common Room blog but her site isn't loading for me at the moment.  

What have you found at a thrift store? Do you make it a regular stop?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olive you a comment if you leave me one. (Puns? We're doing puns?)