Thursday, June 27, 2013

Stop! Don't eat that!

 Raise your hand if you've read anything lately about all the poisons you're eating on a regular basis? 

Go ahead- I can see you. I have government technology that lets me see through peoples' computer monitors... Kidding.

Part of my job as a wife and mother is to see to the food needs of my family. Over the last couple years I have tried to cook more from scratch, use whole foods, stay away from over processed stuff. I'm guessing many of you have been on a similar path of trying to improve your diets at least to some degree. Chris and I have been having smoothies for breakfast on more mornings than not. Kale, fruit, yogurt, water kefir, maybe some flax. 

Then one day I see an article about how the green smoothie craze is resulting in people consuming way too much kale and other greens and there is some adverse effect in the body from that.
Also, my yogurt is not always the full fat yogurt. And I'm not sure if my ground flax is organically sourced. And the frozen fruit from Costco? Well, it's not organic either. And the water I use in my water kefir came straight from my tap which means at some point it was fluoridated, so I'm basically drinking bleach. And, and, and, and!

All I'm trying to do is incrementally add healthier options to our family's daily diet and in the process I'm finding out that each danger I attempt to avoid leads me to finding five other potential dangers. It almost seems like it is impossible to make the right choices. 

Sometimes I get the feeling that religion can be that way for some people. All they want is to choose life over death. Choose Jesus over hopelessness. Choose faith over doubt. They repent and become a Christian only to find that they're still not "safe." Some people become overwhelmed with the swirling mass of religious opinion out there about what a "good Christian" should and shouldn't do. It almost seems like it is impossible to make the right choices.

I'm certainly not going to suggest that there are no absolutes, that truth is "too tricky" to figure out, or that we should throw up our hands in frustration and just give up. But there is this: "For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints." 1 Cor 14:33
God does not want to trick or confuse us. We might learn slowly or struggle with certain concepts, but I believe we have all the information we need in His holy word, the Bible. His word will not contradict itself the way so many diet books and healthy eating recommendations sometimes do. There will be no scientific discovery that reveals that something He asks of us is somehow poisonous or causes disease. 

I'm not dismissing the importance of trying to be mindful of what we eat, but honestly? Try to eat mostly foods that are real and everything in moderation.

When it comes to your spiritual health- Don't accept anything but simple Bible truth and apply liberally. 
"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matt 6:33

2 comments:

  1. I happened to notice there's a free ebook about kale on Amazon right now. I don't get it. Between that, chia seeds, and quinoa, I kinda just want to stop reading new recipes. Just gimme that old-time cooking, to go with my old-time religion. It's good enough for me. Really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allow me to push my glasses up my nose with my index finger to say "Actually, chia seeds and quinoa are technically 'old-time' foods..."
      :) Just kidding. I mean, they are old, but I know what you mean. Ultimately it is just physical food for our physical bodies, both about which we are told not to worry. Bring on the biscuits and gravy! (And Bible!)

      Delete

Olive you a comment if you leave me one. (Puns? We're doing puns?)