Thursday, June 20, 2013

Ohio River Valley Nachos

Here's where I get all kinds of arrogant, and toss a 'fly by the seat of my pants' recipe up here on the blog and name it "Ohio River Valley Nachos" as if I have even the slightest idea what I'm doing.

This is what I like:
sweet salsas that include things like mango, pineapple, peach, etc.
chips
not being hungry

A friend of mine recently brought a dish to a potluck which she revealed was really just a jar of sweet salsa mixed with a can of black beans and a can of corn. It was delicious and more filling than plain salsa and chips. I mixed some up the other week and put it over chips, sprinkled some cheese on top and microwaved it for maybe 30 seconds. Yummy lunch.

I wanted to take it further and get a dinner out of it.

Ohio River Valley Nachos

1 jar of sweet salsa (mango, pineapple, peach, etc.)
2 cans of black beans (or 1 1/2 cups dried beans, fully cooked)
2 small bags of frozen corn (or 2 cans)

Drain/Rinse beans and corn if necessary, then mix together and refrigerate.

1 lb ground beef
1 onion
1/2 tsp cumin
Dash of salt and pepper

Brown ground beef with chopped onion and add seasonings. Drain if necessary and keep warm.

Shredded cheese (I used a blend)
Sour cream*
Tortilla chips

Top some tortilla chips with the ground beef mixture and top with shredded cheese so it melts a bit. Then add your salsa mixture and any other toppings like sour cream or hot peppers or a sprig of cilantro...

*optional


This was a delicious dinner and more filling than just chips and salsa. For the kids, I put their mixture in a bowl and let them dip their chips into it. My son ate it up with a fork.


The risk of typing up this post at this hour is wanting to fix myself another plate right now.

1 comment:

Olive you a comment if you leave me one. (Puns? We're doing puns?)