Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cat toy to Bible study?


Sometimes I just have to step back and appreciate how studying God's word can result in using almost any situation in life as an opportunity to relate a Bible message. If a simple interaction with my cat can cause me to meditate on scripture, that's a good sign that the Word is sinking in and taking hold. Or maybe it's just a sign that I'm quite odd.
Meet Scarlet. One of the two cats that live with us. Every time I open a new gallon of milk I give her the red plastic seal to play with. She bats it around on the floor until it gets lost under something, or thrown away or swept up. (Remind me to sweep under the stove soon.)
Today, as I was calling for her to reward her "toy" to her, I wondered if she would ever grow tired of that little plastic ring. I wondered if she would decide she was above that kind of simple amusement and simply ignore or reject it as I toss it on the floor in front of her.
I thought of the Israelites who complained and murmured over the manna that fed them day after day in the wilderness. (A lot to ponder for a cat, I'm sure.)

This line of thought brought to mind this verse:
" It is of Jehovah's lovingkindnesses that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23

Forget about the cat for a moment. God's compassions or mercies on us are new every morning. Day after day, we receive the mercy and compassion of a perfect God. This should inspire us to strive for more faithfulness to him, in gratitude for what we are granted each day. If you have a hard time seeing where these mercies are in your life because of the wants and needs and troubles of this life, start small. Look for the little things in your life that remind you how merciful God is to us. How could we tire of those?    

 “Great is Thy faithfulness!” “Great is Thy faithfulness!“
  Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
    “Great is Thy faithfulness,” Lord, unto me!
Lyrics: Thomas Obediah Chisholm  (1866-1960) Music: William Marion Runyan (1870-1957)

Have you checked out this website? You can look up hymns and find the lyrics, information about the writers, piano and guitar sheet music. Or just sample the hymns to learn the tune.

What is your 'ring around the milk jug' every day?

2 comments:

  1. I use hymnalnet all the time! I like to torture my children with hymns at devotions every now and then. I will not have them leaving this home thinking Chris TOMLIN is the music they should praise God by. No offense, Chris, but...well...I guess he'd probably be right to feel offended. But there's a quality problem in both music and theology. That's my .50 review, and I'm stickin' to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I don't think the modern 'praise' music holds a candle to traditional hymns.

      Delete

Olive you a comment if you leave me one. (Puns? We're doing puns?)